Postcard marked 1902, a view showing Sally’s Newsagents before the ground floor was converted to a shop.
We have been fortunate to have had a Newsagent on this site for over 100 years.
Diary of Mrs. Mildred Ann Hill who ran Moorlands Hotel: Nov. 23rd 1907 ‘Bought gramaphone and eight records at Hallett’s, 2gns’
Deeds show previous owners as:
- 1905 Mr Richard Holmes Butcher, who probably used this additional space before the shopfront was created.
- 1914 Mrs.G.N.Hallett.
- 1919 Mr. H.J.Gray, a Watchmaker by profession who continued to mend clocks and watches here while selling bicycles and newspapers.
- 1929 Mr. G. Harding
- 1946 Mr. M.C. Ellis
- 1958 Mr. R.T.Gough
- 1961 Mr. F.D.Lacey
- 1967 Mr. and Mrs. A.S.Nicholls
- 1975 Mr. and Mrs. L. Youd followed by their daughter Gill until 2006.