Chagford Market House or ‘Pepperpot’ replaced the old ‘Shambles’ which burned down in 1862. At the opening in 1862, it was hoped that the new building would be: ‘not only ornamental but useful; that it would comprise all the requisites of a Market House and besides those, a room for Parish Meetings and a Literary Institute.’
An earlier story about a Market House with a ‘Court House’ above dates from 1617. The upper floor collapsed while a Stannary (Tinners) Court was in session, when a witness gave false evidence under oath. Five of the six people who died are buried in Chagford Churchyard.
It was modernised in 1970 and the roof & spire were repaired in 1984.