An early picture of Dartmoor Lodge with Swindonia (left). Mr. R.R. Thorn stands at the Post Office door (right). There is no Chemist’s shop in Cannon House (left).
Dartmoor Lodge was a private house until the latter part of the 1960s when the late June Ashburner opened Chagford Galleries, now the Three Hares Gallery.
The Census lists various occupations.
- 1841 John Luscombe 35, Carpenter;
- 1851 John Luscombe 45, Carpenter, Master employing one man and apprentices;
- 1861 John Luscombe 56, Builder with 2 men;
After this date it is difficult to identify occupants of Dartmoor Lodge until
- 1891 Bessie E. Gibbons 45, Wife lives here with a housekeeper and a maid. Her husband may be in Swindonia next door: Wm Gibbons 80, Retired Wool Stapler; Wm Gibbons 45 Retired Wine Merchant.
- 1901 Albert Parsons 37, Gas Works Manager and family.
- c.1918 Mr and Mrs Jackman, running Gilbeys, a shop in the Nat West building.
- 1949 Mr. and Mrs. William Denham. He took over George Reed’s engineering business in 1923 running it from Crannafords.