Chagford Outdoor Pool

Forums Memories about Chagford Places Chagford Outdoor Pool

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jon Lawrence
    Keymaster

A childhood memory: Chagford Pool by Margaret Jeffreys

The school Summer holidays always seem to be warm and sunny, or is that my warped memory! My parents bought a Season Ticket for the Chagford Swimming Pool for half a crown and this was the place I spent a good deal of my time in the Summer.The pool only had a concrete base to it at the shallow end, but there were three diving boards and a springboard at the deep end. I did manage to dive off the second board but my courage failed me on the top one. We inevitably hit the bottom but, as the base was mud it did not hurt!

Every month the pool was emptied into the River Teign, through a drain which was in the side wall, so the water did not drain fully. Someone usually had a good tea from the fish or eels we caught there! We would then scrub the walls with stiff brooms to clean them.
    Finally, the leat, where the water came from, was blocked at Rushford and water began to fill the pool again. This water was always very cold and as there was no heating, except the sun, it took weeks to become warm enough for a long swim, but we did not seem to notice it.

Happy days!

Margaret Jeffreys

• This topic was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Jon Lawrence.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Jon Lawrence.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.